Monday, May 17, 2010

The "I am," an improperly used description of a human life.

How often does someone say "I am" in reference to their occupation, activities and values?
This is a virtually daily phenomenon in which humans describe themselves to others. 
In example, with my case it would be "I am a journalist and a student," however, does that actually represent who I am, or just what I do with my life?  The correct answer is what I, and the rest of us do with our lives, for who we are is far more intricately complex than our environmental surroundings and involvements. If these exercises and values do not describe who we are, but what our lives involve; why does virtually every person I have encountered upon my journey characterize who he or she is by announcing what that person does along their path between life and death? 


The obvious answer is social conditioning, especially here in the United States. The advertising media  and government portrays what a person does with his or her life as who he or she is; the more noble the profession, activity or belief, the nobler and more valued said person is. Yet is it ethical or even wise to allow an advertisement or public figurehead to describe who one is? Granted, I don't believe individuals truly believe that his or her "I am" characterization's truly describe who that person is; however, this occurrence is one to be aware of as words hold unfathomable power- especially during the first encounter with another person, for first impressions matter to a great extent. 


I am guilty of describing myself to strangers as "a journalist, or a rock climber," and so forth; nonetheless, I am attempting to stray away from this path and enlighten the descriptions I give myself to others in hopes that those others will follow and create a different path for themselves. Through this role of characterizing who one is through his or her activities, instead of said individual's life experiences, personality, ethics, and intrinsic desires, it's plausible that one could lose sight of who he or she truly is. Yet if one instills the idea that what he or she does or embodies is only part of their life, it will make a superior impression upon any newcomer in your journey. This is especially crucial in interviews, dates, and introductions as it demonstrates that you're not a simple minded being who doesn't truly know themselves- or the world they live in, but has an in-depth comprehension of what makes them and others "tick." 


 It may sound weird at first to announce, "my occupation is a journalist," to those who ask what I do or who I am, but that's the truth. Who I am is not solely a journalist. I am who I am, and a journalist or hiker are only minute aspects of my being. 


So next time you're describing yourself, take a deep breath in order to pause and think about your answer. Is what you're about to announce truly characterize who you are? Or does it only inform of one aspect in your being? Think about it and tell the truth. For even if you think it doesn't matter, what we say has a magnificent impact upon everyone's life.

No comments:

Post a Comment